Having spent a very pleasant Christmas and New Year holiday with family and friends, I went over to Polly today to collect Kit 9 which includes the boiler.
It is a very impressive and heavy item.
I have fitted the steam dome and regulator along with the blanking plugs. There is just a little bit more to do on packing the regulator gland and finishing the regulator handle which has quite a few casting burrs.
The boiler will be hydraulic tested to twice working pressure (180psi) on Sunday so need to get those last little bits done.
While I was over at Polly I retested the timing of the valve gear. I had to do some re-threadlocking on the valve rod linkages and I knew that I had probably upset the timing. The two Matts at Polly had that sorted fairly quickly. I was also able to confirm that my revised positioning of the draincocks had sorted the problem that they didn’t open and close together. All in all, I now have a chassis that is sufficiently tuned to move on confidently to the superstructure.
I also took some photos of the pipe runs on Molly Ann and Trojan (the 0-4-0 version) to help me with running the pipes to roughly the right locations.
I hope the boiler passes the tests and once it has I can move on to fitting it.
A very interesting build log. Keep up the good work!
I am considering getting a Polly Loco.
Julian, thanks for the comment. I am really enjoying the build. Polly are a great outfit and really helpful. They definitely want you to succeed and are always willing to give help and support. The kit contents are good. I have had occasional missing screws or small bits but they always respond on the day and parts are usually with me within 24hrs. I live about 40 miles away so chose to collect my kits which gives me the opportunity to get tips on the next stage. Which loco are you thinking of building?
you mention one or two points that you needed to adjust,and the re-locating of draincocks, have these points been taken into account in future Molly-Ann kits.
Ray – The draincock issue was my fault! The draincocks are “handed” and I had mounted one right-handed one on the left hand cylinder and vice versa. Consequently when operating the activating lever only one would open on each side rather than two! So a quick swap of sides fixed that. Polly gave me a tip for the future which I should add to the blog that you can use a pin inside the draincock to check that it is open when “activated” on the correct cylinder.
The activating lever was a Polly error but it was simply that they supplied one for a Trojan rather than a Molly Ann so the right one was in the post in 24hrs.