With Lockdown 3 in full swing I am trying to maintain some sanity by tinkering with Liza Jane. The engine shed in question is still our joint hobby room which I share with my wife’s spinning wheel and loom.
In the last two steamings I had some issues with the injector steam valve. It wouldn’t close nicely resulting in steam wasting at the injector overflow with the potential for heating the injector. A club member had previously improved things by resurfacing the seat of the valve but it was still a bit poor. I ordered a replacement from Polly and fitted it last weekend.
I have learnt from previous work to put a bit of tape around the pipe to stop the union vanishing through the floor! The valve is secured in place with trusty Loctite 542.
While I was doing this and in ‘plumbing’ mode, I refitted the whistle as I wasn’t pleased with its orientation on the lock nut on the buffer beam. All in all a pleasant hour of tinkering.
Hole in the whistle should point down so that condensed steam drains away
LikeLiked by 1 person
I had it in the right orientation, but the lock nut had come a bit slack so have refitted the whole thing. Interestingly the lock nut is the only thing on the entire loco to show signs of rust!
Thank you for your candid and instructive blog. It has given me much confidence as I start my first Polly I build. cheers