Up early this morning while it was still cool to start the final element of the frames; the buffer beams.
I spoke too soon on the airbrush front. I had quite a lot of issues today which I put down to poor tool maintenance. I should have been more careful in my cleaning of the airbrush. A thorough clean with thinners eventually sorted things.
I also mixed up too much paint so wasted a lot of material given that I am only doing one coat today and another tomorrow. Oh well, lessons learned. I gave the airbrush a really good clean at the end so hopefully tomorrow’s painting will be less traumatic.
In the end I am quite pleased with the result.
Definitely needs another coat but I have a good coverage to build on – no runs, sags etc.
For those who are interested, this is Phoenix Precision Paint P14 (GWR Signal Red) thinned with Phoenix’s quick air dry thinners (approx 20%). Sprayed with a Badger 200 airbrush using canned propellant (I don’t have a compressor yet).
Looks nice. Multiple thin even coats is definitely the answer. Good to see the acquisition of an air brush too. A compressor would be a good choice for something this big and maybe a few glass jars to keep the extra paint for tomorrow’s airbrushing.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I don’t really have room for a compressor of any significant scale. I would like one for airbrush and for testing the loco on compressed air. We shall see.