I managed to make some good progress with the running boards which are now complete.
A top tip for final assembly of the valances is to fit them in two parts. That way you avoid the risk of scraping paint off them or the inside of the buffer beams. You can then joint them in the middle with the plates provided.
With the running boards and valances secured I then attached and calibrated the lubricator.
The calibration was quite tricky. It is all covered in the instructions, and I think I have managed to get it setup to work OK.
Step 1 is to not loose the ball bearing and spring from the feed pipe. The following steps involved silicone tube, rapeseed oil and a lot of blowing! This all sounds a bit risqué for my blog.
Once everything seems to be calibrated you have to prime the pump with steam oil and then fit the ball bearing and spring that you didn’t loose!
Having calibrated the lubricator it was fairly easy to refit the activation linkages to the crosshead. Finally for the plate work at this stage, I attached the steps and finally the hand brake pillar and actuator rod.
Once this first part of the original Kit 11 was complete I moved onto the backhead.
I have fitted a number of the elements. I have decided that in general, I will use PTFE tape rather than thread lock for things that might need adjustment. For example, the gauge glass and clacks are fitted with PTFE but the steam turret (which needs proper alignment) is attached with threadlock.
I had a problem with the gauge glass fittings. I hadn’t bothered to test fit them in the original build as I knew they would have to come off. When I came to attach the union nuts that hold the glass, I discovered that one of them hadn’t been threaded. I have emailed Polly and I am sure a new one will be whizzing its way to me soon.
Over the week, I hope to finish the backhead which will leave me with the cab and tank to do next weekend.
Next weekend, I am also visiting the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition and will pay a visit to the Polly stand.
Hey Richard, I haven’t been online for a while, a marmot chewed through my internet cable!
I’ve been working on building a full-size Union Pacific No. 4014; just a small upgrade from Polly Molly Ann!